top of page

Final Days

The author came to know that Yogi could possibly return to the ashram from the hospital in the second week of November, 2000. So the author went to Tiruvannamalai in the first week of November and stayed in a room nearby the ashram, silently waiting for the arrival of his guru. Yogi was discharged from the hospital on 23/11/2000. The whole group started in the newly purchased van from Madras in the morning and reached the ashram in the noon. The van had been modified for the comfortable travel of Yogi. Anyhow the stress of the traveling was visible on Yogi’s face. Yogi was taken into the abode through the rear entrance of Pradhan Mandir to take rest.

For another two days Yogi was taking rest and did not give darshan. The devotees were waiting eagerly for the darshan of Yogi. On 25/11/2000, Yogi was taken out of the abode and was seated near the statue in the Pradhan Mandir, where he used to sit to give darshan to the devotees. Yogi was in a serious mood. He was in great anger also. What triggered and upset his mood still remained a mystery. More than two hundred devotees were sitting before Yogi with great reverence as they could see Yogi after a very long time. The author, who was standing outside the ashram gate, heard that Yogi was giving the audience to the devotees at the Pradhan Mandir. The author rushed to the Pradhan Mandir. He was just entering through the gate of the Pradhan Mandir and was able to hear Yogi’s voice, enquiring ‘D’ whether it was the author coming. ‘D’ answered in affirmative. Yogi called the author loudly by his name and the author went near Yogi. Yogi caught hold of his hand with immense love. The author cried and tears rolled down his cheeks.

The author could not see Yogi in the hospital. He was informed by some friends that Yogi had been admitted in a hospital at Madras. The same evening he started in his car from his place driving the whole night and reached Madras early in the next morning. The people around Yogi were roaming in and out of the hospital, but none had bothered to tell anything about Yogi’s health. When the author enquired a few friends, who lived then around Yogi, he could get only the evasive reply. None was ready to disclose the real factors about Yogi’s health and it bothered the author very much. Anyhow the author patiently waited at the gate of the hospital for three whole days. Finally he came to know that the doctors took total control of Yogi and Yogi was out of danger. This news pacified the author and then alone he left Madras to his place. Thereafter the friends in Madras regularly informed the author about Yogi’s health development over phone.

Yogi was patting the hand of the author with all love and compassion. On seeing the author, Yogi’s eyes were also in good moisture. Yogi wiped his tears and enquired when the author came to Tiruvannamalai. The author replied since 15 days he was waiting for Yogi at Tiruvannamalai. Yogi enquired where he was staying. The author replied that he was staying in a room in the Ramana Nagar. There was a pause for a long time. Yogi was intensely looking at the author for sometime. Suddenly Yogi asked the author whether he had cigarettes in his pocket. The author said yes. Yogi demanded the same and the author gave the cigarette packet to Yogi with the match box.

There happened the great furor. ‘D’, who was taking care of Yogi’s physical frame violently rushed towards Yogi and tried to snatch the cigarettes from Yogi. Yogi firmly gripped the cigarettes in his hands and pushed the hands of ‘D’. The managing trustee came running to prevent Yogi smoking. Yogi vehemently told him to go and sit in his place. The former trustee also came and philosophically tried to convince Yogi that the Father in his form asked Yogi not to smoke. Yogi responded that Yogi knew that his Father would never talk through the former trustee.

Then Yogi smoked one cigarette. There was a dreadful silence during Yogi smoked. After completed smoking, Yogi said in high tone, “Don’t try to show your authority on this beggar. If you show your authority, then this beggar will show his Father’s authority. This is my ashram. Here this beggar will do whatever he wants to do.” The devotees and the people of ashram management were stunned and shocked. The devotees could sense that something had happened against the will of Yogi. The people around Yogi got scared. Yogi took one more cigarette. ‘D’ snatched the whole cigarette packet and gave it to one devotee to throw away. Yogi got annoyed. The managing trustee came and explained to Yogi about the doctor’s instructions and requested Yogi not to smoke. Yogi with great anger said to the trustee, “Don’t try to advise this beggar. You go and sit in your place.” The trustee replied that it was not advice but a prayer. Yogi replied, “This beggar knows which a prayer is and which an advice is.” Then Yogi called one lady and demanded her to get a cigarette for him. In spite of the protest from the ashram administrators, Smt. Rajalakshmi brought a cigarette for Yogi and gave it to him with reverence. Yogi again smoked the cigarette and after finishing it, he smashed the remaining butt in such a way that it became small particles. That was the last cigarette Yogi smoked.

Again Yogi accused the people around him that those people tried to show their authority on him. ‘D’, who was sitting next to the author, called the managing trustee by gesture. The trustee came running towards ‘D’ least bothering about the presence of Yogi. ‘D’ said to him, “It seems Bhagavan wants to create a scene before the devotees. Why don’t you send the devotees for the lunch?” On hearing this, the trustee went to Yogi and said, “Bhagavan, shall we send the devotees for lunch?” Yogi replied emphatically, “This beggar wants these friends here for some more time. You go and sit in your place.”

Yogi again talked about the authority the people around him exercised on him. Suddenly Yogi called Parthiban and enquired whether he had his camera. Parthiban replied that he had kept it in the room. Yogi asked him to bring it immediately. Parthiban brought the camera and stood before Yogi. All the time the author was sitting nearby Yogi, who caught hold of his hand throughout this episode. Yogi asked Parthiban to take a photo of both Yogi and the author together. Parthiban took a shot of both Yogi and the author together. (Till date Parthipan couldn’t find time to show this photo to the author in spite of the author’s repeated requests.)

Again Yogi talked about the authority the people around Yogi exercised on him. This time ‘D’ became highly disturbed and asked the managing trustee by gesture to come again to her. The trustee came running towards her. She again asked the trustee to send the devotees for the lunch. The managing trustee went to Yogi and said, “Bhagavan, it is already 12.30. The devotees must be hungry. Shall we send the devotees for lunch?” Yogi got annoyed and said, “This beggar told you already that this beggar wants these friends here for some more time. Don’t try to advise this beggar. This beggar knows what should be done. You go and sit in your place.” The so called successor of Yogi as well as the managing trustee of the ashram was shocked and bewildered on hearing Yogi’s harsh words. He went back silently and occupied his seat.

Yogi then shouted that the people in the administration of the Trust had changed the ashram in his absence. The people around Yogi tried to convince Yogi that there was no change in the ashram. They explained that it was the same since they left for the hospital. But Yogi did not get convinced. Yogi again and again complained that they had changed the ashram in his absence. The people around Yogi took enormous efforts to convince Yogi that nothing had been changed. They had shown every part of the ashram to Yogi and tried to establish that there had been no change at all. In spite of their explanation, Yogi repeatedly accused that in his absence they had changed the ashram. The direct accusation of Yogi baffled them and they struggled again to establish that there was no change at all.

Now one could understand that Yogi had foreseen the future change the administration would do by converting the place into a religious one, whereas Yogi had always wanted the place to be a spiritual one. A religious place is one where the rituals of the religions are adopted, whereas a spiritual place teaches and radiates to transcend the religions and the mundane life to merge one with GURU or GOD, by remembering GURU’S or GOD’S names constantly. To put it simple, religions teach to strengthen the self with dharmas and rituals and spirituality teaches to transcend and eradicate the self to become one with GURU or GOD. Yogi, being a spiritual master, always wanted the place he created to be a spiritual one, teaching and radiating GOD in every aspect of its activities. There are numerous religious places in almost every village and streets of the towns and cities. The people, who wish to do religious rituals for the betterment of their life, could go to those places, leaving alone the spiritual places for the real seekers and sadhakas.

After the Maha Samadhi of the great Spiritual Master Yogi Ramsuratkumar, the administration of the ashram converted the place into a religious one, doing all sorts of the religious rituals, about which Yogi had foreseen earlier and expressed his dissatisfaction and anger over it. Through this episode Yogi had shown clearly his dissatisfaction about the people and their performance in the ashram administration. In a way Yogi awakened the devotees by conveying that Yogi is far, far away from the rituals and poojas and he is so near to the people who could remember him and dedicate their life for him, chanting with all the faith the holy mantra YOGI RAMSURATKUMARA JAYA GURU JAYA GURU JAYA GURU RAYA.

Soon afterwards, Yogi dispersed the devotees permitting them to go for the lunch. ‘D’ instructed one attendant of the ashram to bring food for Yogi and the other people around him. The food was brought to Yogi. ‘D’ served the food to Yogi. When the other lady attempted to assist ‘D’ to serve Yogi, Yogi expressed his dissatisfaction. Yogi openly had shown his dislike for the other lady to serve him. Yogi took some meal served by ‘D’.

Yogi asked the author to take his meal in the bhojansala. The author went to the dining hall to take his meal. Soon, Smt. Rajeshwari, who was living in the ashram from the beginning, cooking and serving Yogi and the other people around Yogi, came running to the author at the dining hall and said to the author that Yogi had asked her, “This beggar has sent Parthasarathy to take his meal in the Bhojansala and you are here. Who will serve Parthasarathy there?” Rajeshwari immediately replied that she would go and serve the author. She was about to serve the author. At the same time the managing trustee came there and called her for some other work. She ran behind him and disappeared. Some other man came and served the author.

Thereafter Yogi regularly gave darshan to the devotees in the ashram. Some devotee contributed a wheeled easy chair which could be adjusted according to the convenience of the user. Yogi wanted to be in the easy chair and it was quite comfortable for him. The young people would push the wheeled chair in which Yogi would stretch his legs and leaned in the backrest majestically followed by ‘D’ and other ladies, to the dais of the Pradhan Mandir. There was a small passage from the abode to enter into the Pradhan Mandir.

Every morning 10 o’ clock Yogi would come for darshan and would return to the abode 12 o’ clock in the noon. Again in the evening 4 o’ clock Yogi would come and conduct the session till 6 o’ clock in the evening. During the morning and the evening sessions Yogi would call several devotees to talk or sing or dance. It was the time of Yogi’s Jayanti celebration. Sri Lee Lozovic from the US came with his disciples to the ashram to have the darshan of Yogi. Every year he used to come with his disciples to India to see Yogi. He would stay in Tiruvannamalai, in the ashram for around 15 to 20 days and then they would go to several holy places in India. The disciples of Sri Lee would sing beautiful bhajans on Yogi in English and would dance according to the songs. Yogi had a great liking to see the devotees of Sri Lee to sing and dance. Yogi would also request Sri Lee to give discourses before the devotees. Yogi would ask the administration people of the ashram to arrange separate place for Sri Lee and his devotees to sit before Yogi. Nobody would be permitted to sit near Sri Lee and his devotees.

Whenever the author was among the devotees, Yogi would call him to the stage and would ask, “Parthasarathy, talk something which is good for these people.” But the author had stage fear and would pray to Yogi that he would sing some songs. Yogi would allow him to sing songs composed by the author.

On December 1, Yogi’s Jayanti (Birthday) was celebrated in the ashram. The US devotees sang several of Sri Lee’s songs and danced in groups. It was beautiful and blissful to watch the foreign devotees singing Yogi’s name and dancing. Yogi then called Sri Pon Kamraj, who had organised to build a temple for Yogi at Kanimadam near Kanyakumari. Yogi asked him to sing and dance. Sri Pon Kamaraj also sang and danced. Yogi enjoyed the performance of the devotees and it seemed Yogi made those devotees to dance to his tune. Yogi then called the former life trustee Sri S.P. Janardhanan to the stage and asked him to narrate the Ramayana. Sri Janardhanan elaborately narrated ‘Sundarakandam’, a part of the Ramayana, before the devotees in his unique colloquial language. Yogi and the devotees enjoyed the way he narrated the story.

During 2000 December, whenever Yogi gave Darshan, Yogi would call the author daily. Yogi would make the latter to sit near him on the stage. Yogi would also call Sri Lee daily to give discourse to the devotees. Yogi would also call Smt. Pankajamdas to sing occasionally. Smt. Pankajamdas had a sweet voice and her songs would enchant the devotees. Of course, Yogi would call Sri Janardhanan too to narrate the Ramayana.

One day Sri Lee wanted his book on Yogi be distributed among the devotees. He expressed his desire to Yogi. On hearing the plea of Sri Lee, Yogi asked the former trustee Sri Mani to announce the devotees about the book of Sri Lee and its price. Sri Mani announced about the book to the devotees and he also informed that if the devotees would purchase the book, Yogi would put his signature on the book. On hearing the announcement, several devotees purchased the book, got the signature of Yogi and received the copy from the hands of Yogi.

One day, during December 2000, Yogi asked the author to sing a song before the audience. The author had earlier composed a new song and sang the song on that day. It seems Yogi liked the new song very much. The song was in Tamil language and it is as follows:

யோகிராம் சுரத்குமார் ஆனந்த அழகாம்
யோகிஸ்ரீ ஆலய ஆஸ்ரமம் அழகாம்
- யோகிராம்
அபயம் திருக்கரம் காட்டுதல் அழகாம்
அருளும் ஞானம் திருவடி அழகாம்
அவலம் நீக்கும் திருவடி அழகாம்
அகந்தை போக்கும் ஆண்டவன் அழகாம்
- யோகிராம்
தளிர்நடை பயிலும் பாங்கும் அழகாம்
தனித்தே குன்றென இருத்தல் அழகாம்
களிப்பொடு நடனம் ஆடுதல் அழகாம்
கதியாம் உயிர்க்கு காப்பவன் அழகாம்
- யோகிராம்
விரிசடை நாதனின் வதனம் அழகாம்
விரிக்கும் விந்தைச் சொல்லும் அழகாம்
கனிவுறு விழியின் நோக்கும் அழகாம்
கலியுக தெய்வத்தின் நாமமும் அழகாம்
- யோகிராம்
நாதனைக் கண்ட வாழ்வும் அழகாம்
நாதனைப் பற்றும் பக்தரும் அழகாம்
நாதனின் நாமம் சொல்பவர் அழகாம்
நாதனில் வாழ்வைப் பிணைப்பவர் அழகாம்
- யோகிராம்

As soon as the author completed singing, Yogi asked the author to sit near him and asked him whether he could translate the song into English. The author, who was not a qualified man, prayed to Yogi that it would be good, if some well qualified would do the translation. Yogi asked the author whom he preferred. The author suggested the youth, but the youth refused. Yogi paused for a few minutes. In that time all the people including ‘D’ in the stage came to the author and requested him to suggest a particular devotee’s name, who was a highly qualified man. Yogi again asked the author whom else he would prefer to do the translation. The author told the name the other people recommended with total innocence. On hearing the author, Yogi expressed his dislike and hesitated. ‘D’ asked Yogi whether they should call the particular devotee to the stage. Yogi told that it was not necessary. Yogi asked the youth to hand over the paper, which contained the song to the particular devotee and to tell him that he should complete the translation and bring it in the evening session. In the meantime ‘D’ informed Yogi that the particular devotee also had composed a new song and requested Yogi to call the devotee to the stage to recite the song before the devotees. Yogi refused to call the devotee near him and asked the youth to tell the devotee to recite the song from where he had been already sitting. It disappointed everybody on the stage near Yogi. After some time the morning session was over and the devotees dispersed.

In the evening session, the particular devotee came prepared with his translation. Yogi called the author as usual to sing some songs. After the author completed the songs, Yogi got hold of his hands and asked him to sit near Yogi. ‘D’ informed Yogi that the particular devotee had come with the translation of the song and prayed to Yogi to call the devotee to the stage to read the translations. Yogi ignored her plea and asked the youth to bring the translation from the devotee. The youth brought the translation from the devotee. Yogi got it from the youth and passed on the paper to the author. Yogi asked the author to go through the translation carefully again and again. The author went through it silently for some time. Then Yogi asked the author to stand up and read the translation of the song loudly to the audience. The translation of the song was as follows:

Yogi Ramsuratkumar is a blissful beauty
The temple of Yogi, Ashram also a beauty -------------------Yogi Ramsuratkumar

The way HE raises hands to bless is a beauty
The Holy Feet which radiates wisdom is a beauty
The Holy Eyes which removes ugly (Of the mind) is a beauty
And The GOD who destroys the ego is a beauty -----------Yogi Ramsuratkumar

The way HE walks like a tender kid is a beauty
The way HE sits alone like a rock is a beauty
The way HE dances in bliss is a beauty
HE alone the Source, Protector, is a beauty ------------------Yogi Ramsuratkumar

With uncombed matt hair, The Lord's face is a beauty
The awful words HE spreads is a beauty
The compassionate eyes' look is a beauty
The Name of The God of Kaliyuga is a beauty --------------Yogi Ramsuratkumar

One’s life which sees The LORD is a beauty
The devotee attached to The LORD is a beauty
He who chants HIS NAME is a beauty
He who merges with The LORD is a beauty ------------------Yogi Ramsuratkumar

Daily there were songs and dance in Yogi’s durbar. Yogi saw every individual while he was sitting in his easy chair and radiated his benevolent benediction to all the devotees. Daily Yogi called Sri Lee, Sri S.P. Janardhanan and the author to talk and sing something to the devotees.

The Kartigai Deepam Festival started in Tiruvannamalai. It is a very famous festival in Tiruvannamalai. The Maha Deepam would be lit at the top of the holy hill of Arunachala and more than a million people would witness the deepam and then they would go round the hill. The whole town Tiruvannamalai would be flooded with human habitation in every possible place. In the ashram, Yogi was sitting on the dais and the whole Pradhan Mandir was almost filled with devotees to have the darshan of Yogi. As usual, Yogi called Sri Lee and Sri S.P. Janardhanan to give some discourses. After Sri S.P. Janardhanan completed his discourse on the Ramayana, he informed Yogi that one of the devotees Sri Sivasankaran’s younger brother Sri Jayakar had come.

Yogi called Jayakar to the dais. Jayakar prostrated before Yogi and informed Yogi that his sisters and their children also had come. Yogi patted him on his back and told him to talk something to the audience. Jayakar, who met Yogi after a very long time, became very emotional. When he tried to talk, the words could not come out, but the tears had flowed from his eyes. It was a wonderful discourse in silent tears that taught devotion. Then he again prostrated before Yogi and Yogi gave a fruit as prasadam. Yogi then announced through a devotee that if anybody wanted to talk to give a valuable message to the gathered devotees, they could come to the dais and talk. Several people both ladies and gents raised their hands to show their readiness to talk. The devotees were called one by one to talk. Some devotees talked wonderfully and some other just chanted Yogi’s name and went to Yogi, prostrated and got a pat and fruit from Yogi’s hands. It was a wonderful sight that Yogi made it a point to see every individual in that huge congregation. In the evening Yogi sat outside the Pradhan Mandir, facing the holy hill to see the Maha Kartigai Deepam. As soon as the Deepam was lit at the top of the hill, a devotee lit the deepam in the ashram and did aarthi to Yogi.

The author was in Tiruvannamalai nearly for a month. He thought that Yogi became totally free from cancer. So, the author wanted to go back to his place. One day when Yogi asked the author to sing some songs, the author sang. After completing the songs the author prostrated before Yogi. Yogi was about to give a fruit as prasadam. The author told Yogi that he would like to go back to his place. Yogi stopped giving the fruit to the author, carrying the fruit in his hand and was smiling mysteriously. The author thought that Yogi wanted him to be there for some more days. So, he said, “If Swami wants me to stay here for some more days, I will stay.” Yogi instantly told with emphatic voice, “Stay here.” Then Sri S.P. Janardhanan was called by Yogi to start his Ramayana discourse. After completing the Ramayana, Sri S.P. Janardhanan told Yogi that he too wanted to go back to his place. Yogi instructed him too to be there for some more days.

Every day there was regular darshan of Yogi on his easy chair. Sri Lee’s group from the US and other regular devotees poured in daily and enjoyed the benediction of the presence of the great Yogi. There was considerable inflow of devotees everyday and Yogi would see everyone with all the attention and compassion. Daily there were dancing and singing. Sometimes if Yogi wanted to take rest, Yogi would put Sri Lee in his place to conduct the rest of the session in the absence of Yogi.

Sri S.P. Janardhanan had some important family function at Bangalore. He and his wife Smt.Vijaya wanted to attend the function. But just a few days back Yogi had asked Sri S.P. Janardhanan to stay in Tiruvannamalai. So, they were hesitating to inform Yogi about their intention to go to Bangalore. One day Yogi called Janardhanan to narrate the Ramayana before the devotees. After he completed the Ramayana, Janardhanan expressed his wish to go to Bangalore to attend the family function. On hearing Janardhanan, Yogi seemed to be annoyed and called the author by shouting, “Parthasarathy”. The author went near Yogi on the dais. Yogi told the author, pointing to Janardhanan, “He wants to go back to Bangalore. You go with him.” The author was wondering on listening to Yogi because Janardhanan’s place was Bangalore and the author’s place was Sivakasi, both in different directions. Anyhow, the author decided to take Janardhanan and his wife in his car to be followed by Janardhanan’s car to Bangalore. As soon as they reached Bangalore, the author dropped them at their house and stayed in another devotee Smt. Rajini Rajagopal’s house for the night. In the next day early morning he started from Bangalore to Tiruvannamalai. He reached his room at Tiruvannamalai in another four hours and took rest till evening.

In the evening 4 o’ clock session, the author attended, sitting among the devotees. On seeing the author sitting with the other devotees Yogi called him to the dais and asked him to sing some songs of his own. The author sang some songs and then prostrated before Yogi, who offered a fruit as prasadam. Yogi did not enquire anything about the author’s trip to Bangalore. Days passed on and the author was daily called by Yogi to dais to sing songs during the morning and evening session. After the singing, Yogi would ask the author to sit near him on the dais.

In another few days, Yogi said that he would like to have a long sleep. Saying this, Yogi would request Sri Lee to conduct the session for the rest of the time. But as soon as Yogi retired into his abode to take rest, the devotees would disperse. Only the followers of Sri Lee and some casual visitors would be there listening to Sri Lee. Occasionally a few devotees would also sit for some time to listen to Sri.Lee. Sri.Lee would disperse the audience at the appropriate time.

A few days passed on. One day during the middle of December 2000, Yogi called the author, Sri Lee and one Sri.Alan from Germany to go with the youth to the Veda Patasala to discuss with the youth about his ideas about Veda Patasala. All the four went to the Veda Patasala premises, which was just behind the Pradhan Mandir where Yogi conducted the session. In a few minutes the ex trustee also came and joined the group. The author enquired the youth what was his intention about the Veda Patasala. The youth told that it was not his intention to run a Veda Patasala, but to do research on the Vedas. The author enquired the youth which Veda he wanted to research on. The boy said all the four Vedas. The author told that when it was very difficult to find a master of just one Veda, finding a master of all the four Vedas would be still more difficult to locate and even if one could locate, such scholars would not move out of their places. The author enquired the boy whether he knew anybody, who was the master of all the four Vedas. The youth told that he had some names in his mind. Then the author enquired whether he confirmed the names with Yogi, who alone had the knowledge about the Vedic masters in India. The youth told that he was yet to confirm with Yogi. Then the author enquired the Brahmin what he would do with the research works of the Vedas done by the masters of the Vedas. The boy replied that he would market it in Europe and other countries. As soon as the author sensed his commercial intention, he stopped his conversation with the boy. Yogi had great reverence for the Vedas, but he was never to commercialise them. Then the youth enquired the other two friends and the former trustee, who also had come how to commercialise the works of the Vedas. The four discussed in an elaborate way how to store and preserve the works of the research in a scientific way. The total discussion had become pointless as it was totally against the wish of Yogi.

Yogi, it seems, had the intention to start a Veda Patasala and so Yogi urged Sri Anjaneyalu, the building contractor, to complete the building as early as possible. Sri Anjaneyalu completed the building within 50 days and received abundant appreciation and blessings from Yogi. But till now, the management did not bother to think about the Veda Patasala, even though they spent several lakhs of rupees for the racks and the Vedic books which are left to dust. After the discussion, all the five returned to Yogi, who asked nothing to anybody. The next day the author enquired the youth whether he had narrated the discussion to Yogi. The boy told the author that he had narrated everything to Yogi, but Yogi did not respond at all.

In another few days, Sri Lee and his followers left for North India for sight seeing and then back to the US. (After the Mahasamadhi of Yogi, Sri.Lee visited the ashram with his followers for another few years and then he stopped visiting the ashram. He passed away in November, 2010 in US.)

One day, during the darshan time, Yogi appeared to be very serious and determined. He kept silent for a long time and looking intensely at everybody sitting before him. Suddenly Yogi beckoned the youth and instructed him to announce the devotees, to stand up one by one and tell their names and the places from where they had come. The devotees one by one stood up and told their names and places. Again Yogi called the youth to announce that all the devotees present there should come for the evening session too, as Yogi had something to tell them. In the evening most of the devotees were present in the durbar of Yogi in the Pradhan Mandir. Yogi called one by one and blessed them individually by saying, “My Father Blesses you,” or just “Rama Rama.” When it was the turn of the author, the author went near Yogi on the dais. Yogi asked the author, “Do you want to say anything.” The author replied, “Swami, I am waiting for your instructions.” Yogi asked, “What you are talking about?” The author responded, “Swami, you asked me to stay here and I am staying here. Now I am waiting for your instructions.” On hearing the words of the author, it seems, Yogi got annoyed. He shouted, “You can go now.” The author was shocked and bewildered.

The same evening the author drove away from Tiruvannamalai and reached his place around midnight. After this event, Yogi did not give the public darshan. Yogi stopped talking to the people and closed his eyes. Yogi was totally withdrawn from the outside world and remained with his Supreme Father. Even though the people around Yogi tried to communicate with Yogi shouting loudly in Yogi’s ears, Yogi could not be disturbed. Yogi remained calm, serene, with closed eyes, totally one with His Supreme Father. Whenever the people around Yogi fed him some food, he would swallow the same with closed eyes. Yogi’s physical frame developed various problems, but this time Yogi was totally withdrawn from the physical frame and didn’t bother about the happenings around him.

In 2001, in the mid of January, in the morning around 10 o’ clock, when the author was in his office at Sivakasi, he received a phone call from the ashram at Tiruvannamalai. The youth talked over phone, saying that since from two days Yogi was remembering the author. The boy enquired the author whether it was possible for the author to come to Tiruvannamalai. The author said to the youth that right then the author was starting for Tiruvannamalai. The author’s wife was out of station. He informed his wife about his visit to Tiruvannamalai over phone. He went to his house and packed a few sets of dresses and started by his car from his house at Thiruthangal to Tiruvannamalai.

It was around 12 o’ clock in the noon and within 5 hours the author covered 440kms, driving the car non stop on the rugged highway with heavy traffic snarls. As soon as he reached the ashram, he was told by the youth and the lady that since from two days, Yogi was repeatedly remembering and pronouncing the author’s name, even though Yogi had closed his eyes. Then the people around Yogi enquired Yogi with a loud voice whether Yogi wanted to see the author. Yogi suddenly opened his eyes and said yes in Tamil. (Aama) Then they called the author over phone.

The author was waiting in the left side room of the abode to have the darshan of Yogi. He was filled with indescribable emotions. A few hours passed. It was around 8 o’ clock in the evening. The author was called inside the room, where Yogi was laying down on a bed upon a cot, completely withdrawn from the outside world and totally one with his Supreme Father. His eyes were closed. His face was glittering with a rare golden radiation. The room was completely still and a deep, divine silence filled the room. The Divinity was solidly present everywhere in the room and it affected and occupied one’s conscious, nay, one’s whole being. The tremendous presence of the LORD could be touched and felt and in the process one got lost in that Immensity. The author was silently standing near the bed of Yogi. The author was still and seemed to be dissolved in that Infinite ocean of Grace. The people around Yogi announced the arrival of the author in a loud voice in the ears of Yogi repeatedly for some time. After a few long minutes, Yogi slowly opened his eyes. Yogi saw the author standing before him. He presented a broad, joyful and compassionate smile to the author. The author was thrilled. He silently touched the Holy Feet of the great Master. Yogi, still having the broad and compassionate smile, slowly raised his right hand demanding the author’s hand. The author put his right hand upon the hand of Yogi. Yogi held and pressed the author’s hand gently with all love. The author at that moment was melted into the vast ocean of MERCY of the LORD. “Thank you Parthasarathy, for coming here.” Yogi whispered these words with the same smile on his beautiful golden face. Those were the last words of Yogi and after that Yogi did not talk to anybody till his last breath. Slowly Yogi relieved the author’s hand after a few blissful minutes and went again to his Father’s abode, by closing his beautiful gracious eyes. The author left the place silently. He was in a state, which could not be described in words.

The author was staying most of the time in the ashram, even though he took a room for rent nearby the ashram. Yogi was initially put in the right corner room of the abode. The room was small and not convenient. So the people around Yogi shifted Yogi to the next room, which was spacious and also convenient for the devotees, who could see Yogi through a big window.

A few days after the author’s arrival, the two boys Sri Parthiban and Sri Naresh, who were attending on Yogi were absent for a few hours. The bed cover of Yogi’s bed had to be changed. There were only the two youths and the ladies. They needed one more person to lift Yogi so that the ladies could change the bed cover. The youth called the author to help to lift Yogi. The author went inside the room. The youth asked the author to lift both legs and the other two boys would lift the abdomen and shoulder of Yogi. The author had the fear and doubts whether he could lift the strong and heavy muscular legs of Yogi. The boys encouraged the author. The author inserted his both hands below the heavy legs of Yogi to lift. As soon as the author’s hands touched the legs, Yogi suddenly opened his eyes to see who was touching. The author had not done this work so far and his touch was new to Yogi, who was so alert and sensitive and could sense even the difference in touch between persons. When Yogi saw that it was the author attempting to lift his legs, his whole face expressed joy. Suddenly the heavy legs became like rose petals totally weightless. That was not a mere imagination or exaggeration. Really the author could not feel the heavy weight of the legs of Yogi. The author lifted the holy legs for a few minutes till the ladies changed the bed and bed covers. The author was thrilled and at the same time he was in tremendous joy to see his old, divine Swami, who could not be changed by the disease and age.

In a few days all the parameters of Yogi’s vital organs had shown negative progress. Enlarged heart, congested lungs, weakened kidneys worried the doctors. Dr. Rangabashyam of Madras, who had done the cancer operation on Yogi, visited Yogi. He had already arranged two of his best staff nurses to attend on Yogi day and night. There were two to three doctors, who were also the devotees of Yogi attended on Yogi all the 24 hours under the direct guidance of Dr. Rangabashyam. The room, where Yogi was laying had been converted like intensive care ward of a hospital. All the emergency equipments were kept ready. The youth rendered great service by bringing oxygen cylinders and other important medicines even in the dead of the night. Anyhow the youth and the ladies ‘D’ and V did not allow any other persons to have the free access to Yogi to watch the situation. Everything should be learnt from the staff nurses or from those two ladies or from the youth. It created a lot of confusion among the devotees.

Dr. Rangabashyam suggested to ‘D’ and the managing trustee to allow the devotees to see Yogi through the glass windows so that the devotees could understand the seriousness of the situation. Then alone ‘D’ and the managing trustee realised the seriousness of the situation. They also understood the restlessness of the devotees, who wanted to have the glimpse of Yogi. Thereafter they allowed the devotees to see Yogi through the big window. Whenever a great devotee came near the window to see Yogi, Yogi would raise his hand to bless them even though he was not able to open his eyes. Sometimes the doctors and the nurses would tie Yogi’s both hands with a cotton cloth to prevent him removing the needles inserted in his veins. In spite of that, if any dear devotee came near the window, Yogi would try to look at them and raise his hand to bless them.

On 26th January 2001, a powerful earthquake rocked Gujarat state, the north western part of India. The earthquake devastated particularly the Kutch area of Gujarat state and thousands of people perished. It seemed Yogi’s body absorbed the entire shock of the earthquake and it told upon the whole structure of Yogi’s physical form. All the vital organs were slowly getting down and the situation was really alarming. The whole system of Yogi got a sudden setback. The doctors Dr. Nachiappan and his son in law Dr. Rajasabai, who were then attending on Yogi under the guidance of Dr. Rangabashyam, reported the situation to Dr. Rangabashyam. The managing trustee was in his house at Madras. The doctors reported the situation to him over phone and requested him to rush to Tiruvannamalai. The trustee was to open the portrait of Kanchi Mutt Pontiff Sri Chandrasekara Saraswati Swamigal at a place near Trichy. He cancelled the program and reached Tiruvannamalai in the same evening. The serious sickness was communicated by the ashram authorities to almost all the devotees, except the family of Yogi. A large number of devotees gathered in the ashram with great anxiety and pain. Silently all the devotees prayed throughout the night. The alarming situation changed in the next day, but still Yogi was in serious condition, the doctors reported. Yogi’s heart was enlarged and weak. Both his kidneys had failed. The lungs were flooded with fluids and so there was a heavy and struggled breathing. There was inner bleeding in the intestines. The specialist from Madras arranged by Dr. Rangabashyam made a hole in the abdomen portion to facilitate local dialysis. Tube was inserted through the nose so that some liquid food could be pumped inside. Oxygen was given to facilitate the breathing. All the best available treatment was given to Yogi, but still due to the firm determination of Yogi to withdraw from the body, those treatments were of no use to resurrect Yogi. On 19th February Yogi’s lungs were completely flooded with the liquids. Yogi struggled to breath. On 20th February early morning exactly 3 o’ clock, Yogi breathed his last. The doctors tried to revive him by giving heart massage, but it was not successful. Finally the doctors announced the passing away of Yogi at 3.19 A.M.

A great, noble, divine life, not less than that of any Gods’ ended. The body after the great soul’s withdrawal had borne the entire sufferings and sorrows of the world, which was visible on seeing the face of the great Yogi. Yogi had gone, but still he lives in all the beings and non beings, in all time and timeless state, in the emptiness as well as in the wholeness and in all conditions and freedom. His Name ‘Yogi Ramsuratkumar’ may ever be with us and peace and bliss be showered on every one of us.

bottom of page